Sunday, June 11, 2006

Yuan San Da Fang Dian

Its been quiet around here , thanks to a vacation and 2 weeks with Mom in Singapore.

Small SOS got me air dropped into the Republic of China , also known as Taiwan R.O.C. Had to be back for the weekend.(Two 5 hours flights in 2 days...yeBBa)

Chasing the clock to catch the last flight out of Taipei , I saw this enroute.




...figured it must be a Monastery of sorts .

With Computex , the world's 2nd largest computer industry event in Taipei , our usual haunt was full for the next week and the secretary said she had booked the Grand Hotel instead.

After a whirlwind touristy weekend with Mom in Singapore , and precious 3 hrs of sleep , I flew back on Monday.
Remember the Saridon ad featuring asuras with Hammers ? I had an army of them in my head by the time I landed.
Just wanted to get to the Hotel and crash. After a 40min drive into city , the Taxi pulled into ...yeah, if u haven't guessed it , go read the Da Vinci Code .



The world's only truly Chinese Palace styled hotel.

Sensory overload with my headache in tow.

In better health , I looked around.
Cool as hell, apparently the First 5 star hotel in Taiwan , built to welcome Heads of state and the like. More on how they accommodated me below.

Painstaking construction(Take a look) , the ceiling was made of wood panels with intricate dragon/shangri-la/Didnt-bother-with-the-significance art work. Hundreds of different panels , wood work, stone work.
Mustve been a helluva time for the guy who actually managed the materials shipping for the construction in the 70s.

It couldve easily degenerated into the kind of thing that happens at new temples built of concrete and the art-work at some Kalyana Mantapas , but this was tasteful.

The lobby , red as hell

..welcomed a head of state , the Premier of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines . Since few nations want to piss off the Peoples Republic of China , those are the kinds of countries from which Heads of state arrive in Taiwan.(...using Heads of state twice in 2 sentences reminds me of the band 'Talking Heads' who though Ive heard only 2 songs , both on Channel V's Rewind , I think are cool).

Anyway , below is the view from the balcony ...

....Reminded me of the scene from Puspak Vimana with Amala and Kamal cooing across balcony fences.

..and the view out of the balcony



..Quite trippy standing there when the crickets on the hill behind went off.

Apparently the hotel even has 2 'secret' tunnels , connecting to Chiang Kai Shek's house.
Should check that out the next time I stay there, and remember to ask for a room with a view of Taipei 101

That's one for the most interesting hotel I've stayed at.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mr. D said...

aawesumm.

5:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home